Campus Rape

What Students Need to Know

Where to go for help

On Campus:
On college campuses, there are many places to which you can turn for help. Most colleges offer assistance for sexual assault victims through the Student Counseling Center, Student Health Service, Women's Center, Student Affairs Office, Security, and other campus departments.

In addition, many colleges have victim advocates who provide confidential, free services for students who are sexually assaulted. An advocate can give you information about your rights and options and can help you think through various courses of action. An advocate can also refer you to campus and community resources for any services you need, such as counseling, medical care, and academic assistance. On most campuses, you can utilize the advocate's services regardless of whether or not you decide to make a police report or officially notify campus officials about the sexual assault.

Off Campus:
If you do not want to receive services on your campus, you can contact resources in the community, such as the local rape crisis center. Look in the local yellow pages under rape or women's services, or call Directory Assistance and ask the telephone operator for the rape hotline in your area. Most rape crisis centers offer FREE services. Another way to find help is to call RAINN, a national victim assistance organization, at 1-800-656-HOPE. RAINN will connect you to a rape crisis center in your area.

If you want to remain anonymous, you can call a hotline and talk with a counselor without giving your name. "Anonymous" literally means "without a name." A CALL TO A HOTLINE IS ANONYMOUS AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT TELL THE COUNSELOR OR ADVOCATE YOUR NAME OR YOUR PHONE NUMBER.

Campus Rape